Friday, July 17, 2009

Zucchini brownies

We are enjoying our summer's bounty of zucchini in our garden. For my first zuc recipe of the year I decided to try zucchini brownies. I wanted to make them pretty healthy, so I heavily modified this recipe.

I didn't make the icing, because gross. And I subbed canned pumpkin for the oil, whole wheat flour for half the regular, and took out the walnuts. My final recipe looked something like this:
  • 1 cup canned pure pumpkin
  • 1 1/2 scant cups white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini
  • 1 bar of Dove dark chocolate with blueberries and almonds, chopped into small chunks
And the final brownies looked like this:


I think that they were enjoyed by all. Definitely not as sweet and buttery as regular brownies, but still tasty!

1 comment:

Rondell said...

Vegetables in your brownies? Now I heard about some of y'all putting weed up in them but this is too far! Them desserts reserved for chocolate only!