Friday, October 16, 2009

Food Stamp Challenge


In Missouri, the average individual on food stamps gets just $28.91 per week. In an experiment for one week I will try spending no more than that on groceries. Why?


- To see if I can do it

- Appreciate how blessed we are

- Solidarity with impovershed people living all around us

- Donate the money saved to a local food bank


I will try to preserve my normal staples, what I call the Big Four: ice cream, soda, beer, and OJ. I also decided any condiments or spices already in the house don't count, and any pre-planned meals with others don't count because I'm not buying any food for it. Also, any food scavenged from the workplace is free. I picked an easy week since we already have 3 meals planned with friends, and on Monday we are having pizza at work.


I was planning to forgo our usual Dierberg's and stretch my buying power by going to Shop N Save or Aldi's. But I found so many comparable deals this week that I was able to get everything at our usual store.


My Receipt

5 frozen pot pies

OJ concentrate

Frozen pizza

Can soup

Off-brand cheerios

Fudge cookies

6pk of Mountain Dew mini-cans

Trail mix (survial instincts kicking in)

6pk of Busch cans (a little embarressing, and probably not food stamp eligible)

Individual turkey tenderloin

Acorn squash (seasonal and cheap)

Hershey's bar


For a grand total of $28.50, 41 cents under budget.




You might notice the lack of fruits and vegetables, or any healthy food at all. The cheapest foods tend to be highly processed, and not exactly nutritous. I count 9 meals, plus breakfest. Without all of the free meals this week, I would be very hungry. I'll update during the week.

3 comments:

Katie said...

That is a really cool experiment! It really does help you to realize just how blessed you are. Thanks for posting this!! :)

JamieShook said...

I have to know - what does one do with an acorn squash?

Melissa said...

roast it of course, with fall spices such as rosemary and nutmeg, I'm kinda on a squash kick lately