Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Review of Gone Girl

Ok, so I've had several friends ask what I thought about this year's big novel "Gone Girl."  This is my first book review, so take it easy on me.

 I can sum it up in one word: Intense.  Like, super mega intense.  It's kind of slow to get going, but picks up around the middle and is full-speed ahead until the end.  It's a really interesting and sometimes profound look at the human condition. One part I remember well was about how we all wear various masks that have been rehearsed time and time again and we pull them out for the right situation.  And in relationships we're all reading from the same dog-eared script.  Whoa.  Very "what does it all mean??" and "who are we all really??"

A woman goes missing on her 5th anniversary. Through her journal, some backward glances at their relationship, and current-day story, you start to get to know the characters.  These people are messed up.  They seem pretty normal at first.  Then you think they're just a little weird.  Then maybe have some psychological issues.  Then they are just MESSED UP.  But, underneath it all, aren't we all?  Whoa.   You don't want to relate to them, yet you totally can.

Try to predict the end.  Just try.  Write it down and cross it out.  Keep writing how you think it will go as you read it.  Keep crossing it out.  It's that good.  And that MESSED UP. 

Do I recommend it?  Yes.  Will it haunt you?  Just a little bit.  I give it 4.5 stars (out of 5) for the narrative ark, rising action, and suspense.  (Those are all of the words I can remember from lit class, ha!)  Oh, and somebody is definitely a foil to somebody else, but I can't quite remember what that means or how it works.  Just throwing out another vocab word, friend. 

Bonus points for taking place in Missouri and Saint Louis - holla!!





No comments: