Wednesday, May 19, 2010

homemade applesauce

It's been a while since I posted a recipe, but I'm back in the swing of cooking again. We were so blessed to have so many friends and family bring us meals after Violet was born. It was so nice not to have to worry about dinner 3 nights a week for the last 6 weeks, but now we are back on our own and I am looking forward to getting back in the kitchen!

I love apples. I've eaten an apple a day for the past 3 years! I am not so much a fan of the applesauce that you buy in a jar, so I thought I would try to make my own. It's so easy and your house will smell so good!

You need:
-a crockpot
-6-8 red baking apples like Macintosh
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1/4 tsp cloves
-1/4 tsp nutmeg
-3 tbsp sugar
-1/2 cup water
-1/4 cup orange juice
(the measurements are estimates, I didn't measure anything and I think you can mess around without messing anything up)

1.Peel, seed, and roughly chop apples
2.Add in rest of ingredients right into the crockpot
3. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, depending on how chunky or smooth you want it. There's no need to mash anything, just stir it around a few times and it will break down on it's own. You can use a fork to smash it around if you like it smooth. I love it chunky with a little texture.

Final product - YUM!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Dude. This was SOOOOOO good. Thanks for posting the recipe for me!