Friday, October 8, 2010

love

We've had some hard days/hours/moments around here lately. Baby Violet is turning out to be a mama's girl and doesn't like to have me out of her sight. Sometimes she cries until I pick her up, then when up she cries until I put her back down. She's so active and doesn't like it if you make her slow down. She loathes diaper changes because she has to lie on her back for 30 seconds. She doesn't want to nap for more than 30 minutes lately and has had some cranky afternoons as a result. She's feeling the effects of teething, growing, and developing so rapidly her body and brain can't catch up.

Even still, I could just inhale her sweetness. I know that she's a little out of sorts right now and I love the moments when I can see her sweet self shining through. The other day we had a few precious minutes in the middle of a hard afternoon. She likes to play with the sheer curtains in her bedroom while we sit in the rocking chair before naptime, and I watched her discover that if she looks through the curtains she can still see a distorted version of her mama. She would look at me through the curtain, move it over to see me in plain view, laugh, and do it over and over again. It was almost enough to make my heart burst. We like to play a game where we "chomp" each other and take little nibbles out of each other. The truth is that I could just eat her up, even on a bad day. She is such a precious gift and I am eternally thankful that she is my daughter and I get to be her mama.


1 comment:

Meg O. said...

Being a mother is just this crazy thing. This crazy, beautiful thing. I can be so tired, frustrated, and drained... and then this moment happens. Where Jake starts to dance to my singing or intently figures out how to make his toy work on his own... and I am instantly refueled. I am instantly whole again. Its those moment that I hold onto that you talked about... those little things they do to say to us, "mom, I know I am needy, I know I am a handful, but I am just a baby and I love you!". this blog was awesome. it touched my heart and i knew right where you were coming from. The mother you are to Violet is beautiful. She is such a blessed lil girl, and her love for you is all over her face!