Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Hard day

Yesterday was a hard day. I think it all started with a certain baby taking a much shorter morning nap than usual. As the day went on, the naps got shorter, she got more tired and a little cranky, and just wasn't acting like herself. She had 2 little meltdowns and just needed a little extra attention all day. We are pretty lucky to parent a pretty easy going baby so I'm not used to her being a little more demanding. (Side note: can a 3 month old sass her mama? I was attempting to put her down for a nap and she just gave me the sassiest look and little yelps. We had to add "we don't sass our mamas" to our short list of rules.)

After a tough day, we got the biggest reward possible. It's like she just knew that we (me, especially) needed something to remind us how blessed we are to spend every day, even the rough ones, with our precious baby girl. It's also amazing to watch her making connections and learning right before our eyes. She really is figuring out cause and effect and while she was splashing around in the bathtub I could just see her little wheels turning as she figured out that every time she made a big splash, I would say "what are you doing?", then she would crack up!

And I present to you: the tail end of her first true giggle fit! These are the biggest giggles we have EVER heard! It went on for a couple of minutes, but we were cracking up and only thought to grab the video camera for the last couple of seconds.


2 comments:

Meg O. said...

Oh wow Melis! That is the sweetest thing ever! The belly giggle was one of the biggest things I was waiting for... and it just makes your heart so joyful doesn't it? Actually the first time Jake cracked up like that was in his tubbie too! We sprayed him with this toy on his belly and he cracked up... and months later still finds it funny. How sweet is this little girl... she loves her momma sooo much! And you are so amazing at it :)

Ashley said...

Oooh... Sassy little Vi. I remember very well calling my mother in law when Natalie was like 9 months old and asking if I could put her in time out yet. I love that you have a short list of rules. Ha! It's days like those that remind me how human they are no matter how we try to schedule them. Little people have bad days too, I suppose.

I love those little baby giggles and growls! She's turning into such a big girl. It's hard to believe she'll be sitting up before you know it. I love this stage!